Thursday, May 7, 2009

Words on the Street

You know, we've been casually mentioning to friends and family for the past year that Roo knows how to read. I think, at first, most people nodded and smiled. And thought that we were such proud parents but probably a bit delusional. Heck. We thought that, too, for a while.
But, looking back over a years worth of photographs, the evidence is clear. And awesome.

Sept. 10, 2008
The 'd' in the picture is actually a P from another set. Roo liked its reversible properties. It could be a d, P, b or a 9.

Sept. 19, 2008


Oct. 22, 2008
This is the first time I realized she could hear words and figure out how to spell them. A friend and I were talking about the cartoon character Betty Boop. Roo came home that afternoon and spelled this. Guess she liked the way the word sounded. And yes, the extra 'O' is actually a zero.

What really blows my doors off is what Roo does with a 26 letter alphabet set. Lots of the words she wants to spell require multiple copies of certain letters. She knows it, makes do with the limited choices and arranges the letters in a way that allows you to still understand the word or phrase she wanted to spell.
Feb. 2, 2009
Can you figure it out? BaLloONS. Also, we lost the 'o' out of this set and she subbed in a zero.

Feb. 5, 2009
Feb. 8, 2009
Because we were talking about the next day being Aunt Joy's birthday.

Feb. 15, 2009
With the exception of the zero, all the numbers were put away. What's a girl to do? Spell out the 2. I didn't know she understood the difference between to and two until this.

March 19, 2009
This marks the start of a love affair with Finding Nemo.

Before you look at the next photo, understand that we lost the 'U' from this alphabet set. Roo has been experimenting with vowel substitutions after learning that 'Y' is a "sometimes vowel".

Also, she's obsessed with three words from the Leap Frog: Code Word Caper video:
bake
(to teach the silent E),
shut
(to teach blends) and
wait
(to teach the rule for pairing two vowels).
The video partners the three words at the end to unlock a riddle to solve a problem. Roo loves this concept and also the rules that the words teach. So, she spells them out a lot.

Again, this alphabet set only has 25 letters. Missing U.

May 4, 2009

*Ehem*

May 5, 2009
Lately she's been working on phrases. Can you decipher this one?
Singing in THE RAIN.

May 6, 2009
TIME FoR ScHOoL
(a favorite line from Finding Nemo)

7 comments:

Mrs. Joyce said...

I'm totally in love with her. A word girl, born into my family who can play word games with her Marmee--at age 3.

Leigh Ann said...

So when do you get her started on the NY Times crossword puzzles? What a smart girl!

kasogayle said...

She is so totally reading. I've seen her do it! If I had to guess, I'd say as well as most 1st graders or better.

Becky at "Cheese My Head" said...

Holy Sh*tbake, Batman! That cracked me up. Roo is so amazing! She fascinates me.

Anonymous said...

She is awesome!!! What she can do blows me away!! And Em writing out phrases! WOW! I love and miss you girls...and your boy!
Blithey Blythe

Staci said...

I totally agree with Kacey. I even know 2nd graders who don't spell that well!

Smooch said...

Does this mean I can use "shitbake" in polite company?