So, why call Em and Roo the "Rowdy Girls"? How was that phrase born?
Like all the best things, you can't draw a straight line from point A to point B to get the whole story.
First of all, you have to understand how very much I (and my sisters) love the television show, Designing Women.


We have huge chunks of dialog from this series memorized and quote it at the most random moments.
"Excuse me. My teeth are enormous."
But not really random. Because if you understood the show, and the back story on the quotes, you'd laugh yourself silly with us. If ever they release an anthology dvd with seasons 1-5 (the original cast), I'll be buying up 5 copies for my sisters, mother and myself. Actually, make that 7 copies, because my girls will need them, too.
Anyway, there was an episode in season 4 called "The Rowdy Girls".
It is hilarious, thought provoking, poignant and irreverent all at the same time.
In one scene, Charlene and her cousin, Mavis, are discussing their rambunctious past.
-----
Don't you remember... The Rowdy Girls?
Oh yes! We used to run around like maniacs at recess.
And the teacher finally asked us,
"Why are you so rowdy?"
Well. I don’t know, Ms. Barnes.
We just run and run until we fall down and bleed
But we don’t care because we’re The Rowdy Girls!
We’ll never be the stand around girls.
You know, the girls who stand around and say, "NO Thank You! I might get my dress dirty.
-----
Well, this particular scene popped back up in my mind at one memorable ultrasound.
Sometime around 17 or 18 weeks, after we knew for sure we were having girls, the ultrasound technician was having a bear of a time getting the necessary measurements.
He'd try on Roo, sigh, try again, and give up. He'd go on to Em and scenario would repeat itself. Back to Roo. Back to Em.
He was getting so frustrated! They were kicking and spinning and flipping and squirming and wriggling and messing up every thing he tried!
He took a deep breath and said, "I have seen thousands of babies AND lots of those were multiples. But I think these are the rowdiest girls I have ever tried to measure! You two sure will have your hands full."
That might of scared some folks, but J and I took it as a compliment. And still do. We do have some rowdy girls. They are tenacious little fighters. They are persistent and determined. They don't let life happen to them. Already, they are taking charge and blazing their own trails.
Nope, Em and Roo won't be the stand around girls. That's for sure. We couldn't be happier.
4 comments:
Hmmm. I recall 4 little girls who were never content to be the "stand around" variety either, in spite of a certain amount of prissiness in their character. Love the photo in the swing.
And that is why I my boys need your Rowdy Girls in their lives.
Kt.
P.S. I always wanted to be Julia and will buy season 1 -5 for my boys so they know what kind of woman they should look for in life.
I LOVE this post! And the girls' legs dangling out of the swing is hilarious. Makes me smile :)
You make me smile, C! And so do those Rowdy Girls...I've always said you were a lesson in opposites - you love all things PINK and all things reptilian. Are we sure A doesn't belong in your house instead of mine?
Post a Comment