Dear Ruby,
You are officially 4 years old. This year has been an adventure. Right after you turned 3 we found out that there might be more going on than just a sensory processing issue. It was a launching point for us, as a family, to make sure that you had access to everything you needed to be the very best Ruby you could be. So, much of this year has been taken up with trips to occupational therapy and speech, researching and praying. Our weekly visits with Miss D are highlights for you because they are full of swinging and playing and leave you feeling balanced and sure of yourself. I am completely wowed by your progress this year in communicating, socializing and acclimating to new situations.
This year you learned how to use the potty. You never ever have an accident out in public or at preschool and rarely at home. I love how proud you are of your accomplishments and also how methodical you are about always having a book at hand for a lengthier stay on the toilet. You are a planner and not one to be caught off-guard. Such a funny thing to learn about you from potty training, but there it is. I think this will be a life long attribute that will serve you well.
Your imagination really took off this year. Most often you pull pretend play ideas from stories you've read or movies you've watched. But more and more, I'm seeing the creativity inside of you spill out into your words and actions. I particularly love the way you revise songs to reflect what's going on in your imagination. Your songs also reflect your keen sense of humor. That and your sparkly eyes. Sometimes your humor is a little wicked. However, it only takes a quick look into your big blue eyes to see the joke hiding there instead of the naughty I expected to find. Just like your Daddy in that respect!
Oh! Speaking of songs, Ruby, you.love.to.sing. Your memory for song lyrics and tunes is just insane. When I hear you humming the tunes from songs on the Christian radio station or singing the refrain from the worship songs in church, I could just cry, it's so sweet. Ruby, you really have a heart for worship and have already learned so many scriptures through song. I hope you'll always have those Words readily accessible in your heart and mind.
Ruby, you have completed a year of preschool and Ms. Melissa has nothing but nice things to say about you. She noted your unique and thorough way of problem solving, how bright you are and how incredibly determined, too. You have blown away your specials teachers with your ability to recall details from past classes. Especially the Chinese lessons from Ms. Jillian during music class. Wow! You are a natural at languages!
Your list of things you love is long and varied. Your family, especially your Emme, top the list in your prayers each night. But, when asked what else you'd like to pray for, you immediately add Sesame Street characters. The four favorites still go to bed with you each night. Your favorite books this year have been compendiums, sequels and series. You share my love of a story that doesn't end. You read like other people breathe, without thought, it's just there. It's so incredible to watch the world open up to you through books. Reading is your passion, but your love language is bacon and cupcakes. Kiddo, you adore the salty and sweet things. Lemonade with 'bubbles' is still a favorite drink and you've got a real soft spot for anything that holds frosting (cupcakes, donuts, cookies). For your birthday this year, I made you an entire cupcake liner full of frosting. With sprinkles, of course.
Ruby, you are so independent now, though you still hang close to me for security. At home you can do it all by yourself. When we're out and about, you get a little anxious at times and still ask to 'be my baby'. I spent the first part of the year pushing you a little further and encouraging you to walk towards the things that seemed to worry you; brave through the transitions that seem so scary and be courageous in the face of looming obstacles. But, you know what, Ruby? You are, inherently, one of the bravest people I have ever known. It occurred to me one day that holding you a little longer or staying nearby for comfort didn't diminish any of that courage. It just gives you the assurance that we're in this together. You are not alone. So, as we finished out your year, out and about type things became much smoother as you relaxed in the knowledge that you would not be asked to fly until you were ready to spread your wings. As one would anticipate, you've begun flying faster and farther all on your own. You amaze me.
You often call me by my first name now, because it gets you swifter results. But, when you really need a mother, you still say 'Mama'. Especially at night when you ask me to tell you secret prayers in your ear.
I love you dearly, Ruby Claire, and am so blessed to be your mother.
Love,
Mama
3 comments:
I am laughing, crying, missing you all terribly........I love you sweet Ruby.
I don't want to forget rejoicing too.
Yep. Sniffling, again! I love the insight about working through fear together. Divinely inspired, no doubt. Love you, Ruby, so much.
Post a Comment