Friday, March 21, 2008

1-800-Ruh-Roh!

So I got to call Poison Control last night.

J and I put the girls to bed and began the ritual cleansing of Fisher Price plastic from our family room.

While cleaning up I found a soggy (read been in someone's mouth) paper casing of silica gel pellets. Minus most of the pellets.
Those were found scattered about under the ottoman and couch.

I was pretty sure I knew which child MIGHT have eaten said silica pellets.
And I knew it had happened some 3 or 4 hours before I found the packet.

Notice the warning all over the package. Do. Not. Eat.

I called poison control. The operator said, "I'm glad to hear that's what they ate."

What?!

"... because it is not toxic. The "do not eat" message is due to the package being a potential choking hazard."

Phew!

Today I combed my house for other wayward pieces of ingestibles.
Because I so do NOT know where they found this package.
And.
I added the poison control number to my phone's address book.

Wanted!

Wanted!

*remember these? :)

**Poison Control also said that they receive 10-12 calls per day regarding kids ingesting silica gel

2 comments:

Becky at "Cheese My Head" said...

Whew! This is good to know...silica gel is not poisonous. Even before our family expanded to three, I handled those packets very carefully. The warning looks ver' ver' threatening.

I love those ladies at poison control. So calm, so sweet. I too have their number in bold red font on my fridge phone list after the match-head incident.

Flawed And Disorderly said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! So glad it ended well!