Monday, March 2, 2009

babies don't keep

This poem is new to me. I came across it on another blog and it resonated loudly with me in this season of my life with the RGs.

Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton, 1958

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.


2 comments:

Mrs. Joyce said...

Ah, yes. I remember that poem. It's so true, and you are living proof.

Leigh Ann said...

I love it. I'm reminiscing too as the girls approach their first birthday. Where did the time go? When did they get so big?