The green chair was my big must-have for the nursery. It is a PB swivel rocker that I thought we'd absolutely live in during the infant stage. I would feed the girls there, soothe them to sleep, read stories and sing songs all in that chair.
I yearned after this chair. However, I was unwilling to fork over the actual retail amount, with our financial future in limbo. (hello... 2 babies at the same time and quitting my job).
But, it was meant to be. While shopping at the PB outlet store with my BFF, there it was.
Slightly marred on the removable slip cover and marked down to 1/4 of the retail price.
(After I haggled with the manager. Because I do that.)
That was 15 weeks before the girls were born.
A week later I sat in that chair, in my unfinished nursery, and sobbed.
I'd been to my OB and we discovered that Roo was having difficulties.
I had a referral to a specialist.
Weeks went by and I sat in that chair often, watching the nursery progress take place.
That chair supported a lot of prayers.
I rocked and sang to the babies and cried out to God for grace for my children.
My precious nephew and Marmee made use of the chair while the girls were still in the hospital.

A week later, Em was able to come home from the NICU.
(She proceeded Roo by 3 days)
We went directly to the green chair.
I was so happy to have her home but so sad that Roo was not.
When the girls were 13 months old, we posed for a picture in the chair.

It was Mother's Day. Our 2nd.
Gradually the green chair saw more and more use.
For a while, it held us as I lulled Roo to sleep for her nap during a difficult transition time.
In the evenings, it saw a quick snuggle while wriggly twins were readied for bed.
The afternoons often involved Em climbing up, rocking and reading a story to herself.
Or Roo using it to balance her handfuls of treasures.
But lately, we're using it as I had originally envisioned.
At night, Roo and Em climb into my lap. Content to share the space.
They clutch their Nannie Blankets.
And together, we all rock back and forth. And I sing. And we cuddle.
I yearned after this chair. However, I was unwilling to fork over the actual retail amount, with our financial future in limbo. (hello... 2 babies at the same time and quitting my job).
But, it was meant to be. While shopping at the PB outlet store with my BFF, there it was.
Slightly marred on the removable slip cover and marked down to 1/4 of the retail price.
(After I haggled with the manager. Because I do that.)
That was 15 weeks before the girls were born.
A week later I sat in that chair, in my unfinished nursery, and sobbed.
I'd been to my OB and we discovered that Roo was having difficulties.
I had a referral to a specialist.
Weeks went by and I sat in that chair often, watching the nursery progress take place.
That chair supported a lot of prayers.
I rocked and sang to the babies and cried out to God for grace for my children.
My precious nephew and Marmee made use of the chair while the girls were still in the hospital.

A week later, Em was able to come home from the NICU.
(She proceeded Roo by 3 days)
We went directly to the green chair.
I was so happy to have her home but so sad that Roo was not.
When the girls were 13 months old, we posed for a picture in the chair.

It was Mother's Day. Our 2nd.
Gradually the green chair saw more and more use.
For a while, it held us as I lulled Roo to sleep for her nap during a difficult transition time.
In the evenings, it saw a quick snuggle while wriggly twins were readied for bed.
The afternoons often involved Em climbing up, rocking and reading a story to herself.
Or Roo using it to balance her handfuls of treasures.
But lately, we're using it as I had originally envisioned.
At night, Roo and Em climb into my lap. Content to share the space.
They clutch their Nannie Blankets.
And together, we all rock back and forth. And I sing. And we cuddle.
It is wonderful.
7 comments:
Oh, I love this post. And I love the photo of you and the girls!
My babies are 13 months, and I'm having a hard time rocking them these days while we read our bedtime story. They are so wiggly!
Lots of good memories in our chair...
This one made me puddle up. If only my rocker could talk... You rocked Kak in it almost as often as we did. As much as I love you all grown up, I miss your babiness--all of you. My chair is so lonely now, except when Em, Roo, Jbear and next, Gracie are here.
I remember the day we found that chair...and you haggling. We may have thought we knew what a treasure we found, but really, it was a treasure BOX because now it holds your 2 invaluable treasures! :)
I have a confession to make. (And I'm not even tipsy.) I forgot you were a blogger for a month and a half there. I have spent the last 30 minutes LOVING your blog all the way back to February!
You are doing a GREAT job!! I love your funny, funny writing (as always)!
Can't wait to catch up in person soon!!
Dangit. You made me cry again.
so sweet. we have our own (double) green rocker. I think my fondest moments happen there.
AW! What a beautiful post! And that picture of you and the girls is precious!
Post a Comment