Wednesday, April 2, 2008

An Update from Africa

Very exciting! We received an nice long email from Mammaw and Pappaw!

*****

My goal today, is to get each one of you, individually, an e-mail out and it not be a "mass produced" newsletter type thing. Our internet connection stays up just long enough to read one or two emails and then it shuts down. So, I usually work up e-mails up in Word then cut and paste them, praying that it will stay up long enough to get sent. We are enjoying having e-mail here.

When I called the day you were in the airport, I was missing you guys so much. I just wanted to hear your voice. Sadly, I had the equivalent of $10 credit in my phone and was only able to talk that short time.

What are the girls are up to? Do they talk a lot? Does one talk more than the other? What are their personalities like? I'm sure you are starting to see some definite traits. What are you doing for their birthday?

The foundation is complete on the 2nd dormitory and the walls will be going up rapidly. They are hoping to have it to the painting stage by early July. A group from the church in the US which has pretty much funded the whole school will be coming and their task will be to paint. The corn grinder building is complete and the electrical in the process of being installed. Once this is complete, the grinder will be installed and they can open for business. A couple, who was here recently has committed to give enough money to build a 3rd dorm. Even with the construction, Ed has managed to complete several welding projects, build a new road into the school and fencing to block the old road, re-locate signs, and today is assisting with the construction of a new 'guard shack' (Tanzanian style) at the gate. Tanzanian style comprises of 4 posts, recycled corrugated metal and boards that aren't cut to fit. Eventually, a nice brick structure will take its place.

The Quickbooks project has not progressed as I had envisioned. Just entering all 800 students and getting their billing and history correct has taken a long time. I am working with a young, woman, Grace Herman, who is expecting a baby in May. She carried a baby full term last year and it died in uterine. Tanzanians do not acknowledge pregnancies as we do. In fact they are pretty much ignored until the baby arrives. I did not know this and when it was obvious that Grace was expecting, said something. She said she was relieved that I knew so that I could be praying for her and almost seems relieved to have someone to talk to.

I think I told you that one of my first assignments when I arrived was making new curtains for the bhandas (guest houses) at the missionary complex. Because the windows were measured incorrectly, they were re-made once and then other adjustments made to accommodate the curtain hanging devices they have here. I remember saying, at the time, "I didn't come all the way to Africa to 'make curtains'. I was quite frustrated. God just laughed and, since that time (including the bhanda curtains), I have made 44 panels of curtains. Isn't God just funny that way? A lot of cool memories have come back to me of sewing with Mom, [my grandmother and sister].

One day, Annie (our Scottish friend, fluent in Kiswahili) and I were shopping in the market for curtain fabric. We had gone from store to store experiencing price "gouging" because we were wazungu (white). At one store a man came in who was obviously inebriated. He was talking to us and Annie began to question him about his drunkenness and then began to witness to him. He (Ernest) had to leave for a minute and go get his wife, Sophia. The shopkeeper knew him and agreed with Sophia that Ernest had been a wonderful father and husband until he started drinking. Annie has experienced alcohol addiction and shared her testimony with him and told him that he could not overcome this sickness unless he knew Jesus. In tears, he asked that we pray with him there in the shop. He did not accept Christ, but Sophia told us it was the first time he ever acknowledged he had a problem with drink. I have not seen him in the market again, but know where Sophia works and will check on them next time I am there. I won't complain about the curtains again. Actually, I have 36 more panels on the drawing board (for the dormitory) for when the Quickbooks thing is finished.

Our new OMEGA assignment is progressing well. We have a team from North Dakota coming in May and we will stay in tents in a Masai village to work on their school. This is the same village where the guy lives who gave Ed the live chicken. Two volunteers will be here for 6 weeks this summer (one staying with us the full time), and a team from San Antonio for 2 weeks in June/July. Lance Whyle (the water guy from San Antonio) is meeting with Jerry Hale next week to discuss how the water projects and OMEGA can partner. Lance wants to bring teams over to work on the water projects and has purchased a truck equipped with a drilling rig. Until now he and Ed have just been installing pumps. We have discussed the possibility of headquartering out of Dodoma, which would entail a move at the end of the year. We are excited to see how God brings all this together. Our friend Margaret calls it "divine networking".

I will be in Arusha for language school for 3 weeks (April 14-May2). Pray that I am anointed with the gift of "foreign tongues" (preferably Kiswahili).

I know how much we are missing out on all your lives, but, more than anything, my heart yearns to be closer to the girls. They must be tons of fun and I know the 2 of you are doing an amazing job as parents.

We love you all so very much.

Love,
Mammaw and Pappaw


*****

No comments: