Last night we took the RGs to their first live musical production (if you don't count the Sea World shows). They are huge fans of The Music Man and our local theatrical company just happens to be performing it this summer.
We arrived early for good blanket placement on the hill and spent the waiting time eating and playing with friends.



I wasn't sure how the show would go over. Love or hate? Sometimes, when you like a movie so much, any other version is a sad and rude comparison. So, I held my breath just a bit as the opening number began.
Roo's eyes lit up like Christmas, then she jumped to her feet. And she bounced along with the actors and sang along with as much of the song as she's learned so far. Hilarious! Everyone around us was cracking up... at Roo!
A few numbers into the show, she turned to us and said, "Oh, thank you Mama! Thank you, Daddy!"
Oh, baby, you are so very welcome.
Em was mesmerized during the entire 3 hours. She froze in place for each musical number and then would leap to her feet at the end and clap wildly, yelling, "YEA!!!!!"
During the Shipoopi, Em grabbed Roo's hand and they attempted a little free-style dance. Tricky when you're perched on the side of a hill. But, super cute.
The funniest thing all night occurred close to the end. There's a scene in the final town hall meeting when the mayor yells at his wife, Eulalie MacKechnie Shinn, to sit down instead of standing and siding with the rest of the town. The girls love this line. The delivery and the physical comedy that follow absolutely slays them. So, J and I had a clue that there might be some RG audience participation as the line drew near. Sure enough. The actor delivered the line, the actress did her part, and then, there was just a half second of quiet. In that moment, Roo belted out, "EUWAWIE! SIT. DOWN." Everyone, even those on stage, heard her and started laughing.
After the performance, J took Roo down the hill to meet the cast. We packed up and headed home around midnight. And if the girls ask, I think we'd totally take them back tomorrow night for an encore. It was that much fun.
lollipops and cotton candy
the Shipoopi!
We arrived early for good blanket placement on the hill and spent the waiting time eating and playing with friends.
A few numbers into the show, she turned to us and said, "Oh, thank you Mama! Thank you, Daddy!"
Oh, baby, you are so very welcome.
The funniest thing all night occurred close to the end. There's a scene in the final town hall meeting when the mayor yells at his wife, Eulalie MacKechnie Shinn, to sit down instead of standing and siding with the rest of the town. The girls love this line. The delivery and the physical comedy that follow absolutely slays them. So, J and I had a clue that there might be some RG audience participation as the line drew near. Sure enough. The actor delivered the line, the actress did her part, and then, there was just a half second of quiet. In that moment, Roo belted out, "EUWAWIE! SIT. DOWN." Everyone, even those on stage, heard her and started laughing.
After the performance, J took Roo down the hill to meet the cast. We packed up and headed home around midnight. And if the girls ask, I think we'd totally take them back tomorrow night for an encore. It was that much fun.
4 comments:
This makes Marmee and all her musical friends so VERY proud! Love you, RG's!
I wish I had taken a photo of the timeS Jamie had to cover Roo's mouth because she was singing too loudly. Her eyes would get bigger as he tries not to crack up but she keeps on singing loud & proud anyway. And I wish I had a picture of Em when she was trying to get the group next to us to show some audience participation. Completely excellent. Thanks again for inviting me!
This whole post, from beginning to end, made me smile. Oh! How I wish I could have been there!!!
This blog brought tears to your Pappaw's eyes. Such a sweet time.
Post a Comment